Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
This 2014-21 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Making Waves Swim School will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Making Waves Swim School is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Making Waves Swim School is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Making Waves Swim School will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights code as it relates to persons with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Making Waves Swim School does not currently have any kiosks. If kiosks are implemented, Making Waves Swim School will ensure employees consider the needs of the people with disabilities when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks.
Information and Communications
Making Waves Swim School is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
Making Waves Swim School will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021.
- We will work with our website designers to ensure all necessary updates are made prior to 2021.
Making Waves Swim School is committed to fair and accessible employment practices.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested Making Waves Swim School will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired.
- We will identify on all job postings that we are willing to accommodate disabilities during the selection process
- If a candidate requires accommodations, we will work with them to make the necessary adjustments
- We will notify successful applicants of our policies for accommodating employees with disabilities
Making Waves Swim School will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability:
- Sitting down with the employee and developing the plan together
- Ensure that all Supervisors and Managers of the staff member are aware of the plan
- Follow-up with the employee after their first week back at work
- Allow flexibility to change the plan if needed
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are considered during performance management, career development and/or redeployment processes
- We will work individually with employees with disabilities to determine a personalized action plan
- Accommodations will be made for those on an as needed basis
Design of Public Spaces
Making Waves Swim School will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces. Public spaces include:
- Recreational trails/beach access routes
- Outdoor public eating areas like rest stops or picnic areas
- Outdoor play spaces, like playgrounds in provincial parks and local communities
- Outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas and accessible pedestrian signals
- Accessible off-street parking
- Service-related elements like service counters, fixed queuing lines and waiting areas
Making Waves Swim School will put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
For More Information
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact
Name: Carrie Mendlow
Position: Director of Operations
Phone: 905-455-7946, 905-878-9747, or 905-832-7665