Hello Families and Swimmers! We are open for swimming lessons and couldn’t be happier to have you join us!
Let’s take a look at some of the ways we’ve adapted the facility to allow you to make an informed decision about when the right time is for your family to dive back in!
Please note: Making Waves is continuously updating its safety measures in line with government and health regulations, so you may see additional precautions being implemented or existing protocols modified.
Questions? Give us a call or send us an email! We’ll be happy to assist you!
Reopening Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT ARE THE LESSON OPTIONS FOR THE FALL TERM?
Making Waves will offer Learn to Swim options that include levels of Little Waves 1 up to Big Waves 10 as well as Parent & Tot classes. Adult and Teen lessons will not resume at this time.
Limited Lifesaving classes will be offered. Please contact your nearest location for details
What are the rules regarding face masks?
Masks are mandatory for all adults entering the facility and must be worn at all times. No exceptions.
Swimmers up to age 8 (grade 3 and below) will be encouraged, but not required, to wear masks inside the facility other than during lesson time.
Swimmers age 9 and above (grade 4 and up) are required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while inside the facility other than during lesson time. No exceptions.
All staff are required to wear masks. Face shields will be provided for all coaching staff who are regularly in close contact with swimmers while in the water.
For Parent & Tot classes, all adults must wear a face mask in the facility until they are on deck, where they can be removed during the lesson period. After the lesson is finished, adults must put their mask back on before moving off deck, and it must remain on until exiting the building. No exceptions.
Disposable masks will be available upon entry for those who do not have one.
Please refrain from bringing any food or drink into the facility so masks can remain on at all times.
If you are unable to wear a mask, we kindly ask that you do not enter the facility. Thank you.
Will we have the same Coach we had before lessons were suspended?
Making Waves is making every effort to eventually bring back all employees. There may be some who are unable to return for various reasons. In those cases, coaches will be replaced with equally skilled and well-trained instructing staff.
What is Making Waves doing to comply with social distancing?
Lots of things! Below is a list of the steps we have taken to keep physical distance and avoid congestion.
- Only one adult per child/family may be allowed in the facility per lesson. No exceptions.
- Chairs in the lobby and seating on the pool deck are placed 2 metres apart and we ask that you be mindful of others and patient while occupying shared spaces.
- Traffic flow in and out of the building will be one-way where possible.
- We ask that swimmers arrive only five minutes before their scheduled class time to keep occupancy numbers within guidelines and walkways clear. Likewise, please exit the building as soon as possible following your child’s lesson to assist us in delivering classes on time for the next lesson.
- Lesson start times will also be staggered to ensure we have a controlled flow of people into the facilities.
- All efforts will be made to distance children while they are waiting on deck.
How many people are going to be in the facility with me?
Currently, we are operating between 40-60% capacity of our pre-COVID registration levels. We will continue to follow health inspection recommendations for how many people will be allowed in our facilities and will schedule our lessons to meet and adhere to these requirements.
To assist in limiting the capacity, we ask that only one adult per child/family may be allowed in the facility per lesson.
What can I expect to see differently at the Making Waves locations?
Below is a list of the steps we have taken to keep physical distance and avoid congestion. Check out our videos below too!
- All adults (including staff) and swimmers age 9 and above that are entering a Making Waves facility will be required to wear something that protects their mouth and nose. Anyone who does not have something to cover their mouth and nose will have the opportunity to use one of the provided disposable masks at the front sanitization station.
- Making Waves will be mandating self-assessment health screening checks online for all adults and swimmers and that are scheduled to attend that day. Individuals with an elevated temperature will not be permitted in the building.
- Reception desks will be equipped with protective acrylic barriers.
- Coaches in the water with swimmers will be wearing face shields. Our goal is to maintain Making Waves’ commitment to creating a warm and fun environment while also keeping your children and our valued staff safe.
- Please bring your own goggles. For the time being, we will no longer let children borrow goggles. For your convenience, we will have goggles for sale at the reception desk.
What is Making Waves doing to keep the schools clean?
The facility will be wiped down throughout the day as swim families come and go every 30 minutes, including high traffic areas and all door handles, tables, chairs, toilets, etc.
Disinfecting wipes will be available throughout the facility and in changing areas.
The use of pool toys and equipment used in our lessons will be disinfected between uses.
Additional deep cleans will be utilized as needed or recommended.
Toys have been put away to prevent the spread of germs and play areas have been temporarily closed.
Hand sanitizer will remain available at all locations and will be mandatory upon entry.
What can I do to keep the schools a safe place for me and my family?
If you have visited a Making Waves Swim School and have come in close contact with anyone who has experienced Covid-19 symptoms, we ask that you please notify the school immediately before returning. You may be asked to obtain medical clearance before returning to the swim school.
Any individual with a suspected or confirmed case of Covid-19 is asked to notify us and remain out of the swim school until receiving written medical clearance to return. This includes all siblings and family members.
If you have traveled outside of the country or been in contact with anyone who has, or with anyone who has been diagnosed with Covid-19 or any flu-like virus, please notify the school immediately before returning. You may be asked to obtain medical clearance before returning to the swim school.
In general, if you are sick or exhibiting symptoms of any illness, we ask that you fully recover before returning to the swim school.
NOTE: Showering before lessons also helps to remove sweat, lotions, bacteria and organic matter before entering the pool. Please shower before lessons.
Making Waves is continuously updating its safety measures so you may see additional precautions being implemented or existing protocols modified.
What steps does Making Waves take to properly maintain their pools?
Providing a safe and clean environment is why Making Waves Swim School has always invested heavily in the infrastructure of our pools. In addition to the appropriate use of chlorine, each pool has a high-quality UV water purification system that keeps the water clean. When water is pumped through our UV system, ultraviolet light rays kill dangerous germs and inactivates viruses.
Making Waves’ air filtration systems continuously expel stale air from the pool room and replace it with 100% ambient, fresh air.
Our dehumidifiers have features like antimicrobial filters and controls that enable us to maintain healthy humidity levels that reduce the survival of bacteria and viruses.
Making Waves Swim Schools are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment that monitors pool chemicals electronically and, in addition, we perform scheduled and documented manual water tests throughout the day to maintain healthy and balanced pools.
Making Waves pools are permitted by the governing Health Departments and are periodically inspected without notice by local authorities.
Making Waves pools are some of the cleanest and safest places for your children and our coaches.
Please watch these explainer videos to help you become familiar with how we’ve adapted the facility to ensure distancing and cleanliness throughout all of our locations. Click on your home location for specifics.
Please Note: as health regulations and guidelines change, the content in these videos may or may not be applicable since it was recorded in August 2020. Please consult our FAQ’s above or inquire at your location for the most up to date information.
Reopening Summary Sheet
Here is a document that helps explain the guiding principles to our reopening plan.